Thursday, August 16, 2012

First, a Brief Serious Note

Dear friends,

 If you are reading this, you probably already know me, so you've probably already heard that my dad died in March. Moreover, you probably deserve long, rambling, heartfelt thanks for the love and support you sent. I read and treasured every word, even if I didn't say that out loud. Hopefully I'll gather enough gumption to send you proper thanks soon, but this doesn't seem like quite the right venue. I don't want to dedicate a lot of time to the subject of mourning here -- Partially because if I started, there would be too much to say and nothing to accomplish; partially because everyone's experience with grief is different and I don't want my feelings to come off sounding like universal truths or advice; mostly, though, because this has never been a place for dwelling in melancholy. But, I also didn't want to jump from one entry to the next pretending nothing happened.

Hanging the mantle of "tribute" on this tiny, antiquated, neglected blog that is mainly a collection of open letters to my friends would strain it more than a little. But, it is a tribute in the sense that my whole self is a tribute now.  I inherited a lot from my dad, including a way with words and a sense of humor. At the risk of a little bit of broad cheesiness, I'll say that I want to honor that legacy now more than ever. I am going to post something new very shortly. When I do, I want you to keep laughing with me -- here, and any other time we get the chance. Not because we're in denial or because it's the only thing we can do if we don't want to start crying. We're not, and it isn't. We should laugh because it's the best possible thing we can do. It may make us feel stronger, and it was one of my dad's very favorite things.

Love,
Caitlin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home